Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Word on Cooking ...


I am convinced that if we made and ate more pot-stickers that we'd be a happier species.  Am I the only one???  Okay, so I bought the gyoza wrappers, I am a self-professed chef and believe in making as much as I can from scratch, but living at 6300 feet poses problems on the cooking/baking front (okay - a feeble excuse, but really quite valid if you've had to do it).  Preparing the filling - ground pork, green onions, Sambal Obleek (watch out - this ingredient is Hot and Spicy!), soy sauce - filling the wrappers and sealing them carefully ... ahhh, serenity.  I normally steam them for about 15 minutes (high desert - remember, takes longer to boil water and cook everything), but tonight I tried something new, I fried them in canola oil for a few minutes, then added chicken stock and steamed them for another 5 or so minutes.  Divine ... delicious ... I'm still happy while they are swimming in my stomach!

We rarely - RARELY - have lazy weekends.  In fact, prior to New Year's Eve, we had traveled 18 weeks in a row (sports, weddings, vacation, work  - I ought not complain because my life is really pretty great), but the past three weekends at home have been a treat.  I've been reading my Ph.D. books like crazy and loving every moment, while nestled into my "cozy corner" of our sectional couch, watching football (just the exciting moments), and stopping to create something fabulous in my kitchen.

I read Ellen Langer's Mindfulness, which is a great concept, but a pretty boring read.  I also have two other books of hers, more recent, in the queue.  Let's hope they are more stimulating.  Reading various books on leadership - ethics, women, and E.Q. - is enlightening.  I am excited to share my thoughts with my fellow classmates.

Gearing up for a busy and hectic week at work -interviewing (inarguably one of my least favorite activities, especially in the desperate economic times of our country) and talent management, which might be okay, except that the managers I interview are all white males in their late 50's and 60's, thus making me feel somehow inadequate, even though I know deep inside that I am intelligent and can contribute.  But, this is a but a stepping stone to a life more enlightened and enriched, one where I can live on the beach, write powerful non-fiction books, and empower others through teaching online, this is my dream ... that, and making pot-stickers regularly to nourish my body and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment