Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Focus, Focus, Focus!


My husband's surprise birthday party last year ... we have so much fun at our house!


Do you ever have those days when you feel impossibly scattered and cannot imagine that someday you will find something truly worth focusing on?  The more I read, the more I realize how many ideas and ‘things’ are out there (not only that – the more mediocre ‘things’ I find).  How will I make my mark on the world of education/human resources – or for that matter, just make my mark on the world?  The last two weeks have been a blur of interviewing (which I’d mentioned previously is perhaps one of the most depressing tasks an HR professional can undertake during a recession), talent management (still trying to make the concepts fit together and be of benefit to our managers and employees), and school (which is fortunately stimulating enough to keep me working on the previous two items because in the future I won't have to work on said items).  


I surf the internet when I grow frustrated with work, hoping to find a research topic that needs more work, or something that sparks my interest and makes me want to create something new.  This afternoon I went through a path of online teaching and learning, trying to create my own website with Dreamweaver (which I’ve had for nearly 2 years and haven’t gotten past opening a template up and staring blankly at a language that might as well be Latin), and reading research submissions on teaching and learning online.  How do graduate students know which topics to pursue?  I know I’m not the first person to ask this question and I’m certain I’m not unique in my temporarily unfocused fog. 


Is it wrong that a graduate student looks forward to American Idol?  I'm not a teenager hoping to find her next 'puppy love' - just a burnt out HR person looking for pure entertainment that doesn't involve me making a difficult decision (maybe that's the appeal - the four judges NOT ME - are making the tough calls for once!!!!).  


Cheers!  I'm going to go have another glass of Merlot.  Why don't you do the same? 

No comments:

Post a Comment