Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What Have I Done?

Serendipitously, while in the midst of an agonizing decision between a big promotion to a city on the east coast, one I knew I could not take now, I stumbled upon a Ph.D. program in Education and Human Resources from Colorado State University, where I'd just earned my Master's degree. The thought of leaving the rural barren desert tundra (I, a water-lover, living most of my life in a western landlocked square state) for a city of culture, endless restaurants of merit, and possibilities of which I can't possibly dream made me blissfully happy. My family, with different circumstances and in different places in life for the moment, did not share my enthusiasm.

Starting my Ph.D. is a way for me to buy a few more years for them to accept my desire to live more adventurously outside the lonely and limiting state of Wyoming, while gaining more marketable skills for myself and thus avoiding the woe is me trap, under which I knew I'd eventually rest if left in a limbic mode.

I am registered to take three classes, starting in just two weeks, two of which I've already read the textbooks, and the third have books on the way, thanks to the saving grace of Amazon.com (because living 200 miles away from the nearest Barnes & Noble or any bookstore of stature can be very isolating). I am standing on the precipice of a lot of work, all of which I don't fully realize (being able to over-estimate my ability to get any job done that I set out to do), all while continuing to work full-time in human resources.

This blog will chronicle my journey, the ups, and I'm guessing, the many downs, of pursuing a terminal academic degree in a specialized concentration. I'm up for the challenge, though, and believe I can make important advances in my field of study.

No comments:

Post a Comment