Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Statistics and Such ...

 An attempt to keep my eyes open during a picture ... on a rooftop bar in Atlanta, mid-summer .. perfect night!!  Okay - there WAS wine involved ... for research on my sommelier certification, of course!

I love travel ... I love warm weather ... I love anywhere that isn't Wyoming during the long winter months!  This is the first week of classes, and okay, I'm loving every moment, the discussion threads, the assignments, the books, connecting with people who hold similar interests as I do ... I have meaning in my evening.

We just watched the Wyoming Cowgirls (University of Wyoming - my husband's & my undergrad alma mater) win over BYU, which is always the biggest of victories in a huge rivalry.  Ah, the stats, the three-pointers, the percentage at the 'charity stripe' and all those other cliches that sports talking heads use.  I held off on my guilty pleasure of American Idol, knowing my trusty DVR will take care of my husband's sports distractions (if you are a fellow Gen-X'er, you may remember trying to program a damn VCR, or even having to hit the "record & play" buttons on the first VCR's that weighed about a thousand pounds and top-loaded the $20 VCR tapes - assuming that everyone wanted to watch the same program in the same room ... ahhh, the good ol' days!).  Now, another Mountain West basketball game (men's - not Wyoming) is featured on the living room big screen.  Oh, of COURSE I want to watch American Idol, dear, after a day of working HR, I need the self-esteem boost and measures of laughter that I get from AI ... but I pitifully say, okay, watch another basketball game, that is NOT in HDTV.  When did I go from watching an old 25" that weighed 450 pounds to needing HDTV?  Who knows ... I know that watching trash reality TV is not necessarily good for me, but sometimes necessary to keep me in check!

I had a slight panic at the thought that I'd really need statistics in my Ph.D. journey, but then re-read an educational research text from a class a few semesters ago and realize I have enough knowledge to make me dangerous - and most importantly, effective!  Not to mention that I thrive on Mike & Mike in the morning and their endless stats, wondering 'how do I get this job'?  I could live in Connecticut (lobster, fresh seafood every day - hell yeah!).  I could sum up hundreds of meaningless stats on how one player has only had 12 catches each January since 2005, but only if the temperature is between 35-40 degrees.  I geek out at these stats, so I think I'm going to be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment