Thursday, January 14, 2010

On Reading ...


I kid you not ... I have 22 books flanking my relaxed state of existence on our huge sectional sofa (books that need to be temporarily relocated for tomorrow nights' party - I love hosting parties, so my books are often relegated to one side of our unexpectedly large living room).  Books I have ordered from Amazon.com, some for my Ph.D. class, some for my own enlightenment (beyond the Ph.D.), some for history, a couple for cooking and wine (my true passion), and a few delicious non-fiction entertainment books.  What is it about books that makes me so passionate?  I'm glad I have a passion, let me say, because for years I wondered what was wrong with me!  People in Wyoming snow-ski (too cold and too dangerous for my taste), hunt (seriously not my thing, I don't care for wild game, getting up early and camping in the cold), bowl (too smoky), run (again, not coordinated enough and not blessed with great joints) ... I have to accept that my passion is reading, writing, researching and learning.  School starts on Tuesday, and I could not be happier.

I commented to my husband tonight that I simply MUST go to some kind of cooking school because I am so uninspired in the kitchen of late, which is one of my strengths and loves.  He commented that I would be busy enough taking 9 credit hours of Ph.D. work next week.  I still don't think the work will push me to my limits, though.  I am confident that I will get everything done to exceed my own expectations ... with a small caveat that I feel like I should have a nagging feeling that I will meet my match soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment