Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday Morning


Niagara falls, from the Canada side on a beautiful fall day

CBS Sunday Morning is perhaps the most interesting and inspirational television news show produced and delivered.  On the rare weekends we are home, my husband and I watch it in bed together, relishing a lazy Sunday morning.  He is out of town on a guys trip, and I find myself sleeping horribly without him.  I succumbed to the fact that I wasn't getting any more sleep, so I'm watching the show from the couch while I fold laundry (I know, exciting).

What strikes me about this show is that it so positive and uplifting.  Today they are featuring segments on sex addiction (is it really an addiction - or an excuse?  the debate goes on), a bookstore that carries only books by Winston Churchill, a tale of a singer with a beautiful voice and constant pain that doesn't end, and an account of Jean Simmons, who passed away this week.

The stories are thoughtful, and often not on any topic I'd ever consider 'interesting.' Yet the journalists write the stories and weave the tales that draw you in.  I feel more intelligent and happier after watching this show and knowing that these people exist in this world.  Maybe the allure of Sunday Morning is the fact that gossip and celebrity are not featured.  I am not sure how we have become a society so uninterested in our own lives that we hang on every tabloid account of 'Brangelina' (although I heard on the Today show this morning that they are divorcing), and are so desperate to know about the Gosselin's that we turn photographers and gossip columnists into stalkers of seemingly ordinary people.

Above all, Sunday Morning features people who are true leaders, in their own lives, and as role models to others.  The message that you should be yourself and shine in your own light ring true in this journalism.  If only more newscasts could be this positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment