Monday, January 11, 2010

In the Movies - Women as Leaders



As I gleefully made dinner in my kitchen (favorite room in the house, other than the bedroom), I watched "Baby Boom" on my new flat-screen TV (Christmas present from my wonderful husband).  This movie has to be what, 1987 (thanks imdb.com!).  Over 20 years ago!  Diane Keaton ends up giving up a potential partnership in a law firm when she adopts her cousin's abandoned baby and finds she cannot balance the extreme workload of a woman lawyer - while she sees men with families (or without) leapfrog over her.  She ends up moving to the country, starting a profitable business for which she has a passion, and meeting a man who is not threatened by a woman who can take charge.

Then I got to thinking about the movies I watched & loved growing up, the female leaders that inspired me and let me know that it was okay to pave your own way:

St. Elmo's Fire (1985) - Demi Moore, Ally Sheedy, Mare Winningham - all made it possible to finish college and find her own career, even when it meant choosing career over men.

Top Gun (1986) - Kelly McGillis as a top-secret clearance teacher in a man's military world, excellent!

Beaches (1988) - Barbara Hershey as an attorney and single mom who learns how to let go and be more like the free-spirited, whimsical Bette Midler

A League of Their Own (1992) - Women playing a man's sport during a time when women were relegated to the kitchen?  Surely, you jest (I jest - and you can stop calling me Shirley).  Women were every bit as good - and profitable - as the boys.  Strong women characters stepping up when there was a need.

Sex & the City (1998 - 2004 episodes, 2008 movie) - The culmination of decades of women making it on their own, this series and movie exemplify women who aren't afraid to have ambition and success.

I know I will think of a hundred other movies that I loved growing up - and you will too - that weren't on this immediate list from my recent memory.  The point is, we've got role models - we just have to continue believing we can make every bit as much of a contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment