Monday, July 5, 2010

Double Standards


So I'm reading Jessica Valenti's He's a Stud, She's a Slut: And 49 Other Double Standards Every Woman Should Know.  Duh.  That's what I have to say.  I hear on a weekly basis the "double-standards" men and women face - let's just say it's women who get the sharp end of this poisonous stick.

I'm a feminist - loud and proud - anyone know how difficult that is to be in Wyoming?  Sarah Palin is revered here, Republicans are the heroes.  Really?  At the expense of 51% of your population?  I am so angry at Palin-lovin' women who think she is so powerful.  Powerful?  Really?  We hear about her kids, ad nauseum, her husband, dude, the first dude, but she is so far behind women's rights it's not even laughable.  Yes, women CAN have it all, but is it so wrong that we need some friggin' help?  Yeah- talking to you men, here.  Equality - especially in Wyoming - the equality state - let's move forward for women's rights.

I am a feminist - and I want all of us to be equal.  Be who YOU want to be.  Feminist-male, hetero, homo-sexual, butch, femme, metrosexual, homosexual, be who makes YOU Proud - screw the damn labels!  I am woman, hear me roar - but I love wearing heels, lipstick, and earrings. (but I'm not a Playboy bunny wearing a size zero with huge tits and freakishly small hips, destined to swoon for men with millions).  But to those who feel pretty while waking up and moving to life immediately - more power to ya!  I want to be pretty - for me - but I totally laud women who want to spend less time on appearance, more time on substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment