Wednesday, July 14, 2010

They Call it Work for a Reason


Today I felt the exhaustion of being the HR Manager for two plants, the Labor Relations Manager for one plant, and my normal full-time job as HR Rep for one really large plant.  I'm working every other week in Wyoming, and the other week in upstate New York, covering two New York plants, and one in British Columbia.  Which means I work remotely for some plants at any given time.  I won't get a full weekend in 12 weeks, and I've only just made it through week two.  I receive over 100 e-mails a day, and send at least, if not more, that amount.  The phone calls, of course, have increased, and the projects that have remained dormant seem to be popping up like my garden is not.  I shouldn't complain, and I really can't.  It's a great opportunity to work with so many great people and learn so many new processes.  But my PhD conference call on quantitative statistics has driven me over the edge!  It also makes me realize what a lonely life this would be, if I continued it for a long period of time.

Tonight Top Chef is on, and I haven't seen the last two episodes.  This is one of my guilty pleasures.  I was able to whip up a quick dinner, simple sukiyaki (my Japanese grandmother's recipe - only simplified for weeknight fare) with fresh peas from the Farmer's market.  Add a bottle of central coast Pinot Noir, and I think I might make it!

If I had enough brain power, I would dive into the new shipment of Amazon books I received on culinary careers and tales of food and wine.  If only I were independently wealthy, and not dependent on my nice income now ...

No comments:

Post a Comment