Friday, July 9, 2010

The American Dream

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/business/economy/07generation.html

I read, with outrage, this article on the New York Times this morning.  I'm not that far removed from college at age 34, but I realize what a difference a decade makes.  The 24 year old college graduate in the article was living at home, has not held a full-time job since he graduated in 2008, and turned down a $40,000/year job as an insurance claims adjuster because it was a "dead-end job" that would kill his career.  Hmmm ... maybe I am being insensitive, but I want to shake this kid and tell him to grow up.  Or shake his parents and tell them to let him go.  I fear for this generation of young adults.  While each generation of young adults has their shortcomings, and their share of lessons to learn, you have to realize that life is simply not fair.  (Or as I say, Fair comes to town once a year, and today isn't the day.)

I left home the day I turned 18 (which coincided with college, I might add).  I dropped out after a year because I got pregnant and married.  My husband, at the time, dropped out, too, and worked in fast food for the next decade because he refused to work hard enough to finish college (I eventually left him and have not regretted the decision at all - as his attitude of laziness and entitlement reminded me of the kid in this story).  Determined to get my bachelor's degree, I held down three part-time jobs, went to school full-time, and took care of my family and household chores (of which I received no help) the rest of the time.  In 2000, I graduated with a B.A. in Elementary Education, about 2 years after I had imagined when I graduated high school.  I couldn't find a job in teaching immediately, so I took jobs through a temporary agency.  I had a family to feed, I could't afford to live with my parents and hold out for corporate America, or worry about taking a "dead-end" job.  However, I worked hard, I put everything I had into my temp jobs, and on my second one, I was asked to stay permanently.  I started at the bottom, even with a college degree, as a secretary at a hospital in human resources, for a $9.50 an hour (yes, in 2001 - and I was grateful for a job that had a stable income and a nice benefits package).  In one year, I proved my worth and created my own job description as an HR assistant, and then a year later, after putting everything I had into a project, I created yet another job description as a Compensation Analyst/Compliance Officer/HR Generalist (at a non-profit hospital, you have to take on many roles - but the experience I got was invaluable).  In 2006, sadly, I realized I'd reached my potential at the hospital and had to move on.  I was fortunate enough to use my experience to land an attractive job, in a less-than-desirable town 220 miles away.  I took it.  And while the location isn't desirable, the job is - most of the time.  I have worked my tail off for this company.  I've been rewarded with travel and interim assignments, which, unfortunately, take me away from my new husband, who is very supportive.  I've earned a Master's degree from a top tier university, and an currently pursuing my doctorate degree from the same university, while working full-time and traveling for work.  It's been a long road, and don't think for one day that I don't appreciate the pay, benefits, and experience I get.  And all while starting off in a "dead-end" job.

The point I'm making is this: There is no such thing as a dead-end job if you are willing to work hard, build relationships, and earn your way to more experience.  If I had held out for my dream job in corporate America straight out of college, I'd probably still be a substitute teacher/teacher assistant/congressional assistant (yes, I've always been big on multi-tasking!), barely making $20,000 on three part-time jobs.  I'm not saying my job is perfect, or even very meaningful.  Most days I wish I could do something that I thought made a bigger difference, or used more of my creativity, or let me slack off, work from home, and watch The Today Show followed by The Price Is Right everyday.  But let's be real.  You get what you give.  The American Dream still exists, but you'd better be willing to put the time and effort into achieving it.  Just like every single other American who is now living the American Dream.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment