Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Downside ...

As promised, I'm chronicling the downside of my PhD program.  As I sit through yet another frustrating three hour phone call, I wonder why on earth I am trying to get this terminal degree.  It certainly won't advance me in my job, and I already make more money than a college professor.  I guess now I am doing it to prove to myself - and others - that I really can do it.  Not the best of reasons.

Statistics is sucking the life out of me.  I understand statistics, but the program we are using is childish and pedantic.  Maybe I say that because I just don't get it.  I hate icons.  Just give me the text, I can read.  The same goes for the phone call.  Let me read it in a book.  I an the opposite of an auditory learner.  I might as well be deaf for as well as I listen.

This afternoon I got a list of items to bring for this outward bound week-long class I have to attend in late July.  I'm less than excited at the prospect of spending outdoor time in the mountains in Colorado.  I'm not an outdoors fan.  Believe me, I've had years to discover this, living in Wyoming all my life.  I don't like bugs, I don't like wearing shoes without heels and peep-toes, and I certainly don't like sleeping anywhere but a comfortable bed with high-thread count sheets and a private bathroom.  I don't need the wilderness to "find" myself.  I don't want to eat a sack lunch or get in touch with my feelings with a bunch of strangers.  Give me a city with a nice hotel, fabulous restaurants, theater, and pavement.  That's what I'm into.  That's where I "find" myself.

Why do people get PhD's?  I have no burning research question I want to answer right now.  I probably won't enter the world of academia.  I really want to write something meaningful.  I'm not sure a PhD will get me there.  Well, this was negative.  But if anyone is listening, you should consider all of these facts before bolding telling everyone that you are smart enough to earn a doctorate degree.  Back to the regularly scheduled phone call ... which is rudely interrupting the newest Top Chef show.

No comments:

Post a Comment