Saturday, August 14, 2010

When I Grow Up ...


Life threw me one incredibly complicated, deliciously intriguing curveball this week.  I'm not at liberty to discuss, but I am hanging on a thread.  It's like that episode of "24" (okay, all of the episodes on "24"), where you aren't sure what Jack Bauer will do in the next hour, but you have to wait a week to see.  You may forget about it for a few hours, but then your mind wanders back and thinks - what the hell IS going to happen?

We had a fabulous weekend at the shore - Brigantine Beach, New Jersey, outside of Atlantic City, with a friend from work in Philadelphia.  She is a fellow foodie and appreciates a nice, long meal.  We dined at a seafood restaurant on the water, at dusk, and it was perfect.  We consumed a couple of bottles of Central Coast (California) Chardonnay (my fondness for this region of wine only amplifies as I travel the rest of the U.S.).  The service was slower, which was welcome in my eyes, because it gave us a chance to talk, to catch up, and to enjoy the view from our table by the water, with a skyline view of Atlantic city as it lights up the night sky.  I had a seafood platter, simply grilled with perfect seasoning - grouper, lobster, shrimp, scallops, crab cakes.  We ate slowly, lingering over the perfect evening.  The next day was spent on the beach.  My husband, in tune with my love of all things water, spent the day finding the perfect seashells for me to take home.  I should note that we both hate to shop, we don't buy souveniers because we don't need more crap cluttering up our life.  But seashells are a beautiful, natural reminder of a weekend well spent at the beach (my natural habitat - even though I was born and raised in land-locked states).

But really, what do I want to be when I grow up?  Work is crazy busy for me, traveling back and forth from Western New York, doing the work of two people, and waiting for my next semester of PhD classes to start next week, four classes this semester, 12 credits.  I'm really pushing myself because I want to get two additional certifications that just opened up, which add 18 credit hours to an already taxing 60-credit requirement for the doctorate.  In just over three years to go.  I hope I'm not overestimating my abilities, but still, I always find that the more I push myself, the more I achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment