Saturday, August 14, 2010

What People Eat When They Are Alone

My trip to Buffalo last week was fraught with delays - delays with serious hours of nothing-to-do-magnitude.  I'm beginning to think I'm cursed.  Of course, the one flight that isn't delayed is my original connection flight, that one, of course, leaves on time, leaving me stranded until the next flight hours away.  I digress ... I read a book called What People Eat When They Are Alone and was thoroughly disgusted and disturbed by the contents.  This was the perfect book to combat appetite, because I can't believe people will consume such a poor combination of ingredients.  I shouldn't judge, but well, I am.  We're talking about bizarre items - saltine crackers crushed up in milk, cheese over eggs, toast covered with a sauce that makes it soggy, anchovies and canned fish, I didn't find a single thing in the book that I would even consider adding to my culinary repertoire.

Last week all I ate was restaurant food.  Not good restaurant food - such a thing is rare anyway - but average, completely average food cooked by people who, it seems, do not have a passion for food.  I miss cooking every night for my husband and me.  People complain they don't know how to cook for two - let alone one - but dinner is the most important part of my day.  It's the time of day when I can let go of work, uncork a bottle of vino, and be truly creative.  I don't buy processed foods.  I make as much from scratch as I possibly can.  Americans have become so lazy and complacent about food.  No wonder people make fun of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment