Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Women

A hunting/fishing trip (that was hard on my civilization-starved soul) - I was the only one who killed anything!

After spending 2 1/2 hours trying to find the link to my favorite journal database this morning so I could gather more articles on women and leadership, I succumbed to the girl movies.  I had wisely DVR'd "The Women" in anticipation of a long weekend at home alone.  (Yes, I realize the movie is two years old, I don't get out much.)  The movie was strongly woman-identified, women with powerful careers, who ended up not needing men, as well as the older generation woman who grew up to realize that she never accomplished anything on her own.  At the end of the movie, watching the credits, I realized - there were no men shown in the movie.  None.  Not the husbands, not the bosses, not men on the street, there weren't even any little boys in the movie, until the baby boy born at the end.  And I didn't even realize it until I read the credits.  Brilliant.  I think it's a bold statement to have a movie all about women that focuses ON women and relationships.  

Is the power shifting?  Have women 'arrived'?  I think there are strong role models out there for women, but we still have a long way to go before equity prevails.  

No comments:

Post a Comment