Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Paths We Travel










Can one ever grow tired of watching "Top Gun"?  Every time I find it on the DirecTV, I feel compelled to watch this brilliant piece of cinematic history, now over 25 years old.  Childhood favorites never rot in our memories.

It's been four years since I made a life-changing decision to move to an even-further-in-the-middle-of-nowhere place in Wyoming.  I am reflecting today on the leap of blind faith I took, and the fact that I turned down a job at Microsoft in Seattle to do so.  The company I joined, however, has treated me far beyond what I'd ever expected.  I got a Master's degree from a top tier university and am continuing on to get a Ph.D., all while working.  I have grown and developed my skills in ways I'd never imagined.  I get paid well, enough to pay my bills and travel and learn more.  Yet I'm still restless.  I want more, need more, and keep hounding myself in a relentless pursuit of development.  I would never have achieved what I have had I stayed at the hospital.  I have opportunities and chances beyond my wildest dreams, the hard part is having to balance the family decisions as well.

I can't be sad, though, for the path I've chosen has opened up windows of opportunity.  I stand at the precipice of greatness, all within my power to continue to do more.  Not bad for being 34 and sometimes optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment