Sunday, March 7, 2010

Women and Leadership ... continued

As I continued research for my professional paper, which I hope will eventually become my dissertation, I am coming to some theories about women and leadership.  And those theories are - no two cases are alike.  I've read the about the feminist revolution and how women decades, centuries before me fought bravely and selflessly to advance women's rights.  Am I doing them a disservice if I don't take the fruits of their labors and fight for my own role as a leader?  What happens when women just don't feel like fitting into the "man's" world to succeed?  And are we seeing a new revolution in women's rights as we march firmly into the 21st century?

I don't necessarily feel like I'm held back at work because of my gender.  I've been given many great opportunities to grow and develop.  Yet I long for the independence of my own business (yet to be determined what that is).

I feel like I've taken a step back, not a step forward, while starting this Ph.D. program.  I'm frustrated with one of my classes because of the group work.  I certainly don't mind playing with others and I do find value in learning from people, but when my grade depends on it, and my team mates don't prioritize school the why I do, I want to shut down.  I have to balance being a leader and getting the work done with being the aggressive bitch who constantly pushes to get her way and get the papers done ahead of schedule and to higher standards.  Quite frankly, I do not like this role.  I love school, I love research and learning, but group work with people scattered across the country is testing my every last nerve.

No comments:

Post a Comment