Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Business Travel

The perfect storm of business travel hit me yesterday.  I like to travel for work.  I like to get away from the office and the scrutiny that it seems like I am constantly under these days.  So on Monday, I start my American-City Tour - Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, nearly three weeks - 18 days - away from Wyoming.  How exciting is that?  Of course, I can't really brag to many people, because who wouldn't want to spend three weeks on the road on the company dime?  And well, I guess some people just aren't happy for me.  I'm used to it. 

I will miss my husband, who patiently understands the wanderlust within, he has it too.  I will miss the people at work who I continuously bounce ideas off of.  I will miss cooking, and the comfort of my own living room, my own bed.  But it's an opportunity to explore my state of mind.  I love traveling alone.  The introvert in me that I shoved clear down to the depths of my soul comes out at last.  I love eating in a new restaurant alone.  I really don't care if people feel sorry for me or not, but I can concentrate on the food, the flavors, the atmosphere, and I don't have to make excruciating small talk when I want to eat and drink fine wine.  I love wandering the city, walking for miles and just getting lost in my own thoughts.  I love the quiet calm of a hotel room with no responsibility except relaxation.  Sure, I'll work in the evenings, but I can pamper myself, as well.

My husband is joining me over Easter in Chicago.  We're going to a Cubs game, we're going to eat great food, and we're going to explore the city together.  I can't think of a better way to spend a long weekend.  I know I will definitely come back with a renewed love affair towards the West, but Eastern/Southern cities are so damn fun to visit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment