Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day

Groundhog Day is one of my favorite made-up holidays ever.  Okay, so Bill Murray played a role in elevating this holiday into something meaningful, but it's a staunch reminder to keep working toward a dream, lest you wake up one day stuck in a monotonous treadmill of sheer drudgery.  I keep telling those around me that I will be severely disappointed in myself if I wake up when I'm 40 and I'm still in the same place.  Our parents did, people at our plants do it, but it's not for me.  There is so much out there for me to experience.  Doing the same thing for my entire career sounds about as exciting as having a daily enema.

Maybe I'm the problem with America.  Who knows.  Who even cares.  I have dreams for greater good, teaching at a university, going to culinary school, teaching culinary school (and teaching people to stop eating fast food and frozen meals masquerading as "diet" food), opening a restaurant, having a catering company, writing, traveling.  All so much more glamorous and meaningful than a life in HR.  I don't begrudge those who want to do that (well, I begrudge those who piss me off while doing that), but I'm meant for something different.  And once again, I'm not doing homework, but writing in this silly blog about all the great things I'm 'gonna' do, instead of actually DOING them.  But in good time.  I finished my paper early this morning with ease.  I think school is easy, it's just the motivation and reinforcement to get it done that trips me up.

On to watch Wyoming lose another basketball game ... Groundhog Day again ... but Top Chef is new tonight, I can't believe a TV show is a highlight of my day, then again, living in the bitter cold, barren, tundra of Wyoming, this happens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment