Thursday, February 4, 2010

Working from Home

Turner Field - home of the Atlanta Braves

I took a 6:30 a.m. conference call this morning, to accommodate callers in China, Europe and the east coast.  I decided to work from home today, and I couldn't be happier.  I love my home, I love the independence of designing my own workday.  But then I think of how many roles I play.  While I don't have children at home, I still have a full workload at home.  I still feel the pressure of 'women's work' being cooking, laundry, cleaning.  I can get everything done, full-time job, housework, full-time+ of Ph.D. work, but I still feel like I'm clinging to those traditional woman's roles.  I'm hoping my interactions with classmates, discussions, case studies, research - can help me stand up and demand equal rights in the home, but I realize it's up to me.  Unless I start asking for help (which as a woman, I have always had trouble doing - believe I can do everything), I will continue to feel trapped in the gender role into which I was born.  

No comments:

Post a Comment