Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Wonderful World Wide Web

Where have I been?  Have you been to Hulu.com?  I had maybe several months ago and just didn't explore it well enough ... until today.  I'm trying to find new websites with new technologies to make me more successful and efficient.  I researched e-Portfolios, Ning, Moodle, Wikis, then stumbled my way back to Hulu.com.  I'm mesmerized.  You mean I can watch episodes of my favorite childhood sitcoms, previously hidden, now in their brilliant glory?  ALF?  Charles in Charge?  The Facts of Life?  WKRP in Cincinatti? Newsradio?  All on the web, full episodes?  (To mock the young girl in her pajamas promoting online education for for-profit diploma mills, "How is this possible?").  Sidebar:  Don't pretend to think that ALF is a substandard piece of pop culture, I cannot be the only person who finds his acerbic wit and charm wildly amusing.  

Okay, what's my point?  We have so much available to us on the internet we wouldn't even have believed it two years ago, let alone 25, when I was first learning to program using a small green turtle on a primate computer larger than me.  While the web can be a huge time waster, it is also the one piece of technology that I cannot believe we ever lived without.  In fact, just a while ago, our internet blinked out for several minutes (I am hoping it's not because I was watching ALF and using all the bandwidth), and I almost couldn't function.  Everything I wanted to know about is contained in cyberspace.  You may as well cut off both my arms than ask me to live without the internet.  Again, how is this possible?

Are we working more efficiently, though?  Or are we allowing ourselves to become sucked into a black hole of needing more, more, more?

No comments:

Post a Comment